Jan 2, 2014

90 Years' Experience Helps Antiques Dealers

What’s the best advice you ever received that you failed to take? I recently considered that question, and my thoughts went down a rabbit hole that became so deep, so fast, I expected to bump into Alice and the White Rabbit.

Yes, I should have bought Apple stock in 1986. Yes, I should have taken a raincoat to Woodstock. No, I never should have opened that second store. Although I’m not particularly good at taking advice, my hindsight is 20/20.

Humans often claim that a characteristic that sets us apart from other species is our ability to learn from one another. I’ve never entirely believed that. I believe that taking advice is just not natural. Right or wrong, we tend to take our own counsel. Advice is sought for comparison purposes, listened to politely and usually dismissed. Unsolicited advice is simply ignored.

Which, as often as not, gets us into trouble. As George Santayana said: “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment