Jan 28, 2014

Customer Service Policies: Help or Hindrance?

I couldn’t have been more embarrassed. I met some out-of-town friends for lunch, and I picked up the tab. We were in a small-town, mom-and-pop restaurant; the kind where you pay your bill at the register. I handed the clerk the bill and my debit card, and she said “I’m sorry sir, we don’t take plastic.” After a momentary panic, she told me they would take a check, so I paid by check. My friends were appalled; in the “big city,” all restaurants take plastic.

In the rural mountain area where I live, I run into this situation a few times a year. I’ve encountered the “no plastic” policy in retail stores, motels, restaurants and auto repair shops. When I first moved here, this was a regular occurrence. Now, unless I have a wallet full of cash, I avoid stores that won’t take my debit card. After the encounter at the restaurant, I’ve renewed my old habit of looking for the Visa/MasterCard logo as I enter a business. Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment