Feb 7, 2014

Pinning Down Pinterest Marketing Basics

As a small businessman, I’m very conservative (read: cheap) with my resources. I’m tight with my money and even tighter with my time, because I don’t have an excess of either to squander. Consequently, I’m very reluctant to jump onto the latest bandwagon because I’ve found that too often those wagons don’t go anywhere.

Remember Friendster? How about Yahoo 360? SixDegrees? Pownce? They, along with a host of other websites poised to “dominate social media” came, went and are no more. I’ve found that being a late-adopter saves me a lot of time. So, I no longer sign up for every new social and/or marketing gimmick that comes down the Google pike. My attitude is wait and see.

Well, I’ve waited and watched Pinterest for some time now. For those of you who have been using the site, I confirm your good decision. To those of you who are not yet initiated into the Pinterest fold, I’ll say this: It’s not going anywhere, and it’s time for you to take a closer look.

My mother used to tell me: “Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.” What I’ve discovered over the years is that it gets really hard to keep track of all your eggs if you’ve got too many baskets in play. So this year I’m going to limit myself to just three social media “baskets”: Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest (my “big three”). As far as I’m concerned, these three social networks are the most useful to antiques and vintage dealers. I’ll keep my LinkedIn and Twitter accounts, but I don’t intend to visit them too often. Any time spent there is time not spent on my big three. When it comes to social engagement, I’d rather go deep than wide. Read More...

No comments:

Post a Comment